Thursday, January 9, 2014

Ottobre design 6/2012 "Puunappi" - a duffle coat for B.

Hi folks! Remember me?..... Ahum, yes, it's been a while.  More than 18 months since I last blogged! Oh well, that's life - live with it.
I thought about starting a completely new blog dedicated entirely to sewing, but I enjoyed reading back over old posts so much that I couldn't abandon this one just yet.  So here I am again with my latest creation. A duffle coat for my youngest boy, who is now TWO!! Can you believe that?! Where does the time go?.......

 I know it is completely out of season but I have had the pieces for this duffle coat cut out for a long time, and one of my new year resolutions is to finish a project before starting work on another. (Yeah, Ha! We will see how long this one lasts!) 

For this coat I chose to use some op-shop thrifted woolen fabric for the exterior, and some flannel fabric from my stash for the lining. I think the most expensive part of the whole project was the buttons!  I prefer to use recycled buttons when I can, however, I really thought this coat needed wooden ones and I had none, so I had to make a trip to Spotty for them. Oh, and the separating zipper was also bought new.

The coat came together reasonably easily, although I did have to unpick several seams when trying to insert the lining into the shell.  Being an Ottobre pattern there are never any pictorial instructions, only written ones, which are often a bit obscure, so I did my best to understand them, failed, and re sewed it the way I believed it would work.


I put in a little extra and hand worked the buttonholes.  Partly because my vintage Singer buttonhole attachment wasn't performing at his usual best. (Perhaps the fabric was a little thick?)


Overall, I am very happy with the result.  Hopefully it will get a bit of wear next winter.  Next on my "to sew" list is a collared, button up shirt for me.  I have never sewn one before and I thought it was about time!  (Promise to post again SOON!).

5 comments:

  1. How lovely to see a post from you pop up! Great coat. And with the up & down weather we've been having lately, you never know when he's going to need it. What a blonde cutie! I use a vintage Singer buttonhole maker too (I have several, ahem) and yeah, thick fabrics/layers are what I've had less success with. Hand-worked looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! Is your button-holer the one with templates, or just a bunch of screws that adjusts various things? I have a black one with screws and have often wondered if the template one would be better?...

      Delete
  2. It looks great. Very professional looking.

    I have never made a button-up, collared shirt before, but when craftsy.com was having a big sale a few weeks ago, I bought a lesson on how to make one. It seems like an important skill to have, especially if clothes off the rack don't fit so well. I'm looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute. Love this fabric for this coat.
    I'm currently making the larger, girl version of this coat and studying up on the zipper placement. Thanks for all the great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute. Love this fabric for this coat.
    I'm currently making the larger, girl version of this coat and studying up on the zipper placement. Thanks for all the great photos.

    ReplyDelete