Friday, March 2, 2012

Yeay for baby chicks and purple carrots!

It has been an exciting last 24 hours! Thursday morning we woke to find that two of our eggs in our incubator had little holes in them! By the evening we had two beautiful baby chicks, and this morning 3 more!..... I hope we hatch a few more over the next 48 hours because 5 out of 20 is not such a great ratio. It states in the instructions to leave the hatched chicks in the incubator for 24 hours, however, as soon as one hatches it starts playing soccer with the other eggs and they go rolling all over the place! It also states that from day 18 to day 21 you should stop the automatic turning mechanism so that the chicks can right themselves before hatching! ie. don't roll them or they get disoriented?....What to do? I've been giving the newly hatched chicks a few hours to rest after hatching, before moving them under a light. But by then, all the other eggs have been rolled many times. Hummm..any suggestions? On another note, but almost as exciting, I found these purple carrots at my local fruit and veg store this week! It's so nice to find something a bit different. I've been trying for ages (without any luck)to grow purple carrots, now I can just buy them. I hope they keep stocking them!
 
Checkers anyone?
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Cute baby chicks! What kind are they? We have no experience with an incubator, just one time with broody chooks. I hope you get a few more hatching :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are Wyandotte chicks. Mothers are 2 golden laced and 1 silver laced, Father is Blue laced Gold! So we should get (in theory) 50% gold - 50% blue from the gold laced mums and then a bit of a mix from the silver laced mum. I love this breed they are SO friendly! Although I am also loving my australorps too. They are darlings and let my 2 year old try to pick them up! Only 6 chicks so far. (there were 15 in the bator - not 20)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my grocer has those carrots too now?? i don't know why the sudden influx but i'm happy!

    ReplyDelete